Re: Horsepower ratings

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Horsepower ratings
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:06:43 -0500
>Steve Guthrie:

> I'm still trying to decide which motor to use, a stroked R-16, or an LZ-22.
> My question is this;  what would the approximate horsepower be for these
> engines given these parameters?  Weber carbs, (40mm on the R, 45's for the L),
> a mid-range cam, (what we used to call a 3/4 race...), electronic distributor,
> electric fans, bored .040 over, compression in the 9.2-1 range.

IMHO, it's virtually impossible to approximate the horsepower of the two
combos you suggested. In general I'd say the LZ-22 should have more low and
mid range torque due to the extra displacement, but so much depends on
clearances and care in assembly that that might not even hold true. The
difference would be fairly small, I'd think, and the extra work needed would
be considerable.

The stroked R-16 would be the easier option by far. The L-motor would
obviously require considerable fabrication, plus you have to adapt the
L-head to the Z bottom end.

If you want the most bang for the buck I'd say go with the "big" R-16, stick
with 38mm SU's at first, but maybe go to 46's later, stick in a 5-speed and
4.11 or maybe 4.38 gears and hang on. Building this setup would be simpler,
quicker and I'll bet end up with better performance than shoehorning the
L-motor in.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day