Re: Pertronix & Radio Noise

To: bob_wilson@agilent.com
Subject: Re: Pertronix & Radio Noise
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:10:51 -0500 (CDT)
There are a number of generic ignition-noise-in-the-radio fixes that may
help you.

Make sure tht the antenna is gounded to the fender. If it isn't it can
pick up more noise than it would if it were grounded.

Connect a ground braid between the body and hood. It is possible tht the
hood is not grounded, allowing the noise to reach the antenna.

Make sure there is a bypass condenser or filter installed at the coil
where the hot lead from the ignition switch connects to the coil or
ballast resistor (if used). This keeps the noise from traveling back into
the wiring harness and getting to the radio that way.

I doubt it will help in this case, but you can try adding a noise filter
to the radio power lead, right near the radio. Ground it to the body of
the car, not the radio. (Some filters don't have a ground lead, so ignore
the bit about grounding if that is the case.) This filter works better for
getting rid of alternator whine than ignition noise.

Peace,
Pat

 - Support Habitat for Humanity, A "hand up",
not a "hand out" -

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA