Lug Nut Torque

To: datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lug Nut Torque
From: DMPDJ@aol.com
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:14:31 -0500
The tire stores are supposed to torque the lug nuts well below the specs with a
gun and in a hex pattern. They should then use a break-away bar to torque the
rest of the way. It's always best to use the break-away bars on a hand socket
wrench.

Overtorquing causes damage period. I've watched guys in the tire shops use the
wrong socket wrench on my car, have to bang the socket on the ground to get my
lug nut out, then use the same socket on the next nut. I stopped the guy and
asked him how he supposed I would get those now rounded nuts off on the side of
the road when I get a flat.

I also had an experience where I took both family cars to a shop and got 4
tires on each. Within 2 weeks we had a total of four flats because they didn't
change the valve stems, then when I got a flat on the way to the airport to
pick up my wife, I broke 3 of 5 studs trying to get the wheel off!

The moral is watch what those guys are doing because someimes they only care
about speed. Find a good local repair shop to get your tires at. You'll pay
more but they'll do a better job. Word-of-mputh referrals are great, but talk
to the guy behind the counter and get a feel for what kind of shop he runs. If
you're in South Jersey I can recommend a few really good ones.

Dave Ford
SnapOn Equipment