Re: Smog law changes (CA)

To: Paul <heyace@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Smog law changes (CA)
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:03:27 -0800 (PST)
> "Beginning April 1, 2005, the 30-year rolling exemption will be repealed.
> Instead, vehicles 1975 model-year and older will be exempt. Therefore, 1976
> model-year and newer vehicles will continue to be subject to biennial
> inspection indefinitely."
>
> So Whew!!! I guess we are all cool!

Only kinda sorta. Go read - carefully - the actual text of the law.
Older cars are exempt from in-cycle biennial inspections, but must
still be in compliance with tailpipe emissions. Briefly, my understanding
is that the smog cops can test you "out of cycle" whenever they want.
They can use roadside sniffers to pick you out, or other unspecified
criteria ("Hmmm, older cars pollute more. Let's test 'em!"). Oh - and
the passing criteria is up to them to determine, as well.

-- John
     John F Sandhoff  sandhoff@csus.edu  Sacramento, CA