1/2 inch breaker bar works good: diff fill plug

To: Keith0alan@aol.com, jim.sylvester@comcast.net,
Subject: 1/2 inch breaker bar works good: diff fill plug
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:07:45 -0500
If I remember right, a 1/2 inch breaker bar works good, the square pops into
the sqare hole in
the fill and drain plugs.

The tranny fill is hard to get to.  I use a 1 gallon garden sprayer, with
the spray head cut off and
a piece of clear plastic hose substituted, to pump up and then snake the
hose into the fill port.
Just let it ooze in there until is starts overflowing.  There are special
rigs made for this, but
if you have a spare sprayer, clean it out really well and it works great.

I tried red line, the special MTX tranny juice for the tranny, and the gear
lube out back.  Works great, and worn synchros came back to life in the
tranny.  But, it is very thin, and out back some
leaked thru the seals onto the rear brakes, and in the tranny, it leaked out
the front and
got on the clutch.  I swapped back to dinosaur juice and the leaks stopped.

I use a good quality 80W 90 now also.  Was thinking about the heavy duty 90W
140, but think
shifting would be molassas like when cold.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Chesapeake Va

67 pushrod 2L  5 spd