Head port build-up: dowls and vacuum and other trick

To: Keith0alan@aol.com, richard@tntarch.com, datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Head port build-up: dowls and vacuum and other trick
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:32:50 -0500
Kieth's words of wisdom are good,
a few more are:

-roll the engine so that intake valve is shut, and if you have a source of
compressed air get
in there after dislodging all the carbon and blow out all the debris with a
blow gun
attachment, they will not get past the
valve and will fly out the port.

Might want to wear safety glasses, or at least shut your eyes.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Va

>From: Keith0alan@aol.com
>To: richard@tntarch.com, datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
>Subject: Re: Head port build-up
>Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:22:57 EST
>
>Richard,
>
>     Use a hardwood dowel. You can cut the end at an  angle to make a
>pointy
>scraper. Vacuum the port out when finished but the carbon  bits really
>won't
>hurt anything as they pass through the engine.
>
>keith
>
>In a message dated 1/10/2005 8:58:45 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>richard@tntarch.com writes:
>
>Greetings List,
>

>I've been in the process of changing my  SU's on my 67.5, After I removed
>the starter again to get to the top header  flange bolt then removing the
>header, I noticed a heavy carbon build-up  inside the intake ports in the
>head and was wondering what would be the  safest technique to remove it
>is.  I don't want to dislodge any and  have it fall into the head, is
>solvent the best  way?
>

>Richard

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!