RE: diff fill plug

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: RE: diff fill plug
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:48:14 -0800
Jim,

I found filling the differential to be a real opportunity to create a mess.
What I finally did was to hang the bottle of gear lube upside-down in a
jury-rig wire or string basket, or tied to almost anything that is solid and
won't fall at a bad time.  Before you hang the bottle press a vinyl tube
over the cone on the lid of the bottle.  A full bottle of gear lube is the
same amount of fluid it takes to fill the differential.  I put the other end
of the hose into the differential fill hole.  Then I punched a few holes in
the bottom (now top) of the gear lube bottle to let air in and left it to
slowly drain into the differential.  Just be sure you have the bottle
secured above the differential (I had mine above the body of the car) and
the hose is braced or tied down so it is not going to fall out of the
differential while the fluid is draining.  This is a slow process, so start
it and go do something more interesting than watching gear lube flow down a
vinyl tube.....

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland