RE: suspension parts

To: jim.sylvester@comcast.net, datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: suspension parts
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex675@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:06:48 -0800
I've had this discussion with some of the vendors before...

The problem is that there simply are not enough of us who need the ball
joints or other parts to make it profitbale for the suppliers to build the
machinery to make them.

Parts manufacturers require a run of a certain amount before they will
consent to making the part. The intial setup and the tooling requirements
can cost thousands of dollars and the vendors can't make that commitment
unless they are pre-ordered by enough roadster owners.

The alternative is that they pay the money for the setup and then have the
parts sitting on their shelves- not something that appeals to them.

The sad fact is that there simply are not enough of us roadster owners and
that is a double-edged sword: We like the uniqueness of our cars but it
makes it a lot harder to find parts for them.

Andrew Murphy
1967.5 2000
SoCal