RE: chirping

To: "'Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net'"
Subject: RE: chirping
From: "roadster katman" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:32:36 -0700
Hi Leigh,

If you have a grinding wheel and a Dremel tool, you can make your own.
If you just plug the holes (I think they're 14mm 1.5 thread), then
you'll still have an air tube that causes a bottle-effect chirping. You
need to completely block the air tube by tapering metal bolts that match
the contour inside the cylinder chamber. Best way is with the cylinder
head off, so you can precisely grind the taper from inside the chamber
with a Dremel tool. (Clean up all the metal dust and chips before
reinstalling the head!)

The way I do it, is to use the original smog tubes, cutting off most of
the top threaded portion but leaving enough of the threads for insertion
into the hole. Cut the bottom so it still will extend into the exhaust
chamber a bit. Then drill and tap these to accept a steel bolt. Grind
the top flat, and grind a large slot in the top. Now you can use a
screwdriver to thread the modified plug into the hole. Then use the
Dremel tool with grinding bits to taper the plug to match the contour of
the cylinder chamber. Lastly, insert brass plugs into the top to keep
the steel plugs in place.

Fred Katz - So.SF