Ball joint taper, rack and pinion

To: <Datsun-Roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ball joint taper, rack and pinion
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:33:34 -0500
There have been attempts to use alternative upper and lower ball joints for
the roadster.  I know that one type of Volvo lower ball joint fits the spindle
properly but needs to be machined to fit the a-arm.  I think I saw on
somebody's website where the type of ball joint was discussed locating,
adjustable tubular upper a-arms and also tubular lower a-arms.  I will
probably keep the stock spindle but would like to use cheaper ball joints.

Does anyone know the taper for the upper and lower ball joint shaft?

Does anyone know a common ball joint that has the same taper?

Has anyone swapped to rack and pinion steering?

How did you get the ackerman right?

Thanks,

Andy