Re: OT, Balboa Park

To: RWM <RWM@rwmann.com>
Subject: Re: OT, Balboa Park
From: Jerry Krakauer <jsk977@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:19:05 -0400
Of interest to note, at least I think so, is that the auto industry today
really miss-uses the term intercooler when refer to turbos. The U.S. was the
only WW II combatant to use a combination of supercharger and turbo
supercharger on the same engine.  Due the space required this combo was used
on only two aircraft; the P38 Lightening and P47 Thunderbolt.  The incoming
air first went through a gear/shaft driven supercharger then into the
Intercooler out of the intercooler into the turbo then into an Aftercooler,
then onto the intake.  The term intercooler was coined because it was a
intermediate cooler between the two superchargers.  By this original
definition turbo cars today use an Aftercooler not an Intercooler. Just my
bit of useless info for today.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311 00099