Rear Brakes/Emergency Break Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Brakes/Emergency Break Question
From: Tom Ross <rossto@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 18:26:49 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All,

I am working on my brakes this weekend (1970 2000) and
started tonight with the rear drums. I was concerned
to see that when I jacked up the car, neither of the
rear wheels spun freely. So I adjusted the breaks by
tightening the adjustment screw until the wheels were
locked, then backed off 3 "clicks".

I also noticed that when I released the emergency
break that the shoes did not retract, I had to reach
in and pull the lever back and then the rolled free as
they should.

I just read through the rear break section of my (Dr.
Datsun) manual and there is a mention in the text
about a pair of springs that are attached to each of
the two rods that are the final emergency break
linkage to the brake units. My roadster has no such
springs and may be the reason that my wheels did not
spin freely when I first jacked the car.

Could some someone send me a picture/diagram of where
this springs go. I could not find them in any of the
diagrams in my "Manual".

Thanks

Tom Ross
1970 2000 Roadster