289 firing order

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 289 firing order
From: "Donna and Terry Cost" <tcost@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 18:25:34 -0500
Stand in front of the car.  On the left (passenger side) is 1234, from
radiator to firewall.  On the right is 5678.  Look at the distributor hole
like it is a clock.  The 289 distributor has #5 plug at 12:00 (firewall) and
#3 at 6:00(radiator).  The #1 plug is at 1:00 and the distributor rotates
counter-clockwise. Firing order for a 289 is 15426378.  Look at the crankshaft
damper.  Marks on the damper and the metal plate on the engine will line up at
TDC.  The crankshaft rotates clockwise. Put a big socket on the crank and
rotate it clockwise.  Remove the #1 plug and block the hole with your finger.
When there is pressure, then no pressure, you should be at TDC.  Check the
marks.  If the marks don't line up try it again. When you seat the
distributor, remember that the distributor gear moves the rotor about 1/8 turn
when it seats, so you may need to pull and reposition the distributor a few
times to make sure the rotor points to #1.  I never actually owned a 289
Mustang, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express once, so I think that's the
correct firing order and installation procedure.  Feel free to comment.

Leisure Suit Terry