RE: aftermarket gauges <semi-OT>

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: aftermarket gauges <semi-OT>
From: "Dave and Linda" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 00:48:09 -0400
Sender must match gauge, especially fuel.  You need to meter the resistance
to ground at empty and full and compare to gauge specs.  If the range is
right, but reading is wrong, ie 100 to 400 ohms vs 400 to 700 ohms, you
could compensate with resistors.  Same on temp and oil.  VDO has a big
range, they may be more compatable with nissan.  Could also use mechanical
temp and oil pressure gauge, no compatibility problems, just plumbing.  Tach
is easy, speedo can be a  tough one.  I think they make electronic speedos
that trigger from a magnet and sensor on the driveshaft, you calibrate in
revolutions per mile.
IMHO Volts is safer than amps, I would replace amp gauge with a proper (30
amp?) Maxifuse and carry a spare, or bettwe yet 30 amp circuit breaker.