RE: 68-70 2000 side molding

To: "'linda'" <ljordan704@netscape.net>, <Keith0alan@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: 68-70 2000 side molding
From: "Joe Kinstle" <joek@camberconstruction.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:26:35 -0700
I recently restored the stainless trim on my '68.  It can look really good.
Polishing Stainless Steel isn't all that easy, but if you keep at it, it
will come out looking great.

I only have time to give a short explanation, but it's pretty easy over all.
I took a 6" long piece of 1 1/4" PVC and split it in half.  The trim seems
to match the curve pretty well.  Lay the trim in and tap it lightly (I used
a 1/4" hardwood dowel, sharpened in a pencil sharpener, then blunted) from
the back side to push the dents outward.  Not too much, just enough.  You
are basically do mini body work.  Most people suggest when working the
dents, work from the edge towards the middle, in a circular motion.  After
you have the dents pushed back, take a fine file and file them flat.  This
will show you any low spots, as well as if you have pushed out too much.

Once you have the trim looking dent free, start polishing.  I found it
faster to sand progressively from 80 grit through 1500, then start with the
wheel polishing compounds for stainless.

Take it slow, do one piece at a time, and start with the either the easiest
to replace or the worst piece, one that you'd probably have to replace
anyway.  It took me about 20 hours to do all the stainless, including the
windshield trim on my car.  So it's not all that bad, but it does take a bit
of patience.  Good luck!

Joe Kinstle
'68 2L