5th Gear Neutral problem: good comments

To: sandhoff@csus.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 5th Gear Neutral problem: good comments
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 07:31:21 -0400
Thanks, I have not had either one apart, gearboxes and setting up rear ends,
and bending exhaust pipes probably being the only three things I have others
do.  I was speaking from hear-say, which can be inaccurate.

"Every day you learn something is a good day"

Jim
Chesapeake Virginia

>From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
>To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
>Subject: RE: 5th Gear Neutral problem
>Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:32:18 -0700
>
> > ...It has been said that the 4 spd is actually a bit stronger of a
> > tranny.
>
>I've had both of 'em apart. Early 5 speeds had a potential issue
>with the two piece overdrive gear and the nut holding things together,
>but all in all the differences between the boxes are amazing.
>
>In my opinion, the 5 speed is a WAY more solid design, using lots
>of real bearings instead of needle bearings, having a center support
>plate, not having the funky countergear shaft arrangement that
>self-destructs, not having shift rods drilled in the middle for the
>lockout pins.
>
>That said, the 5 speed is also WAY harder to tear down and
>overhaul. Mine's still in pieces, too firmly put together to get it
>apart any further and too far apart to easily get it back together :-(
>
>-- John
>      John F Sandhoff   sandhoff@csus.edu   Sacramento, CA

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!