Re: trunk gasket

To: "paul g. reichert" <ocblue@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: trunk gasket
From: Stan Chernoff <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:08:52 -0700
At 09:24 AM 8/26/2005 -0400, paul g. reichert wrote:
>Got me a new gasket,looked at an old lid to see how it should glue
on,lined it
>up,glued in,but now the lid won't close!Seems the original ones were more
>flexible(cheap)and the lid pressed it over the lip in the body.New ones are
>too fat for that.Sooo, does the gasket go inside that channel in the trunk
but
>then it doesn't seem to be able to stretch enough on the lid to go around the
>structures there?Help please.
>Paul in Pa
>1600 on the road!
Hi Paul,

I have a trunk gasket that is ready to go right now that mounts on the
trunk and allows the lid to close properly.  I have had these for more than
10 years.  They have been used by restorers and individuals successfully
for all of this period.  They have been made by more than one place and
they work great.  The material is EPDM rubber that the manufacturer says is
resistant to water absorption, ozone, sunlight aging and also to
intermittent exposure to oil and gasoline.  You may note that the original
Nissan part is glued together at the corners and had been the standard for
many years.  Nissan is now out of the original ones as best I can
determine.  The price is $32.

Stan
=====