Valve problems and Gas

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve problems and Gas
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:41:52 -0400
I'm running comp valve springs and may switch back to regular ones (which
are NOS) when I swap out the cam.

My problem is exactly like yours and started happening on my trip to the
Glen 3 years ago. I thought my rocker pedastals which I thought loosened up
were the culprit but they weren't.

What was the culprit was that the guy who built my engine used valve seals
on my engine on the exhaust side which didn't let enough oil in and the
custom s/s valves galled to the guides and got stuck in the open position
and the flopping of the lifter hammered the cam. When I had the head redone
they removed the seals which stopped the problem. The head was NOS and the
valves did not stick when first assembled.

After speaking with several race car engine builders who I met they all
recommended NOT using any valve seals on the exhaust side.

The modern gas now available is causing all kinds of havoc with engines and
carbs and I have seen the damage now occuring - rotted rubber parts in
carbs, melted pistons, stuck valves and a host of other problems. It also
expands at a far greater rate than the 'old' gas and if you fill up your
tank prior to parking it, it will overflow out of the filler neck. It
happened to me on my Datsun and my MGB.