Polished Parts Warning

To: "Classic Datsun Pickups List Group"
Subject: Polished Parts Warning
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 11:16:04 -0800
I think this was discussed several years ago, it just happened to me, so
I'd like to bring it up again. Over the years, I bought enough polishing
gear and supplies to learn that it is terrible laborious and nasty job.
So, when a nicely polished L-16 valve cover came up on Ebay, I bought
it, even though I have 2 good ones to polish.

When it was delivered, I was happy to note that it was a wonderful job,
a very highly polished valve cover with no dents, holes or
imperfections. It was as good of a job as I could ever do, if I started
with a near perfect cover. Turning it over. I saw what they had done.
They had abrasive blasted the piece first and the interior was full of
blasting material!

You DO NOT want this abrasive in your crankcase oil!

I spent over an hour, removing the baffle and cleaning all the nooks and
crannies of god knows how much abrasive. Over all, It's still a good
deal, compared to the effort it would take to polish one myself.

If you buy polished parts inspect and clean thoroughly before use!

Victor Laury
Downtown Los Angeles
70 SRL Roadster
70 PL521