Rebuilt Engine Ready to Fire - Help

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilt Engine Ready to Fire - Help
From: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 17:02:27 -0700
I am trying to fire up my roadster after a six year restoration.  It is a 68
2000 w/ solex's.  I have a few areas to get the list's collective advice.
Carbs: back two are wet after choking/ front two appear dry - float needle
stuck closed?
Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gasket:  It appears to be leaking antifreeze ever so
slightly at base of the two intake ports.  I never put any type of gunk on
it but torqued all nuts pretty hard by hand.
Distributor & Timing: Okay so I'm lazy and I don't know how to set the
timing.    Now, my knowledge of timing is minimal.  Can someone explain the
process in very basic language.  I have the manual.  But I have read
numerous discussions on this list in the past.  I noted that the distributor
base has the timing marks labeled on it.  However, I have heard guys talking
about a second number besides the timing quoted in the manual (for example
15 degrees before top dead centre).  Is there not one number to set the
physical distributor to?  My engine does NOT have smog equipment.  I also
heard that the 2000 does not need to have the vacuum advance hooked up.  I
have a small plug covering it.
Can someone please help w/ this.  Keep in mind that I have never heard this
engine run since starting the restoration six years ago.  Thanks in advance!
Larry.