RE: Rebuilt Engine Ready to Fire - Help

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rebuilt Engine Ready to Fire - Help
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:35:53 -0800
I always use a bit of gasket sealer around the water passages between the
head and the intake manifold. Yes, that can be a challenging area to get
sealed properly. The bad news is, it's better to do it now than later. I
know you're anxious to hear it run, but I haven't seen one of these leaks
get better over time, only worse.

Once you have the "no gas" situation resolved on the front carb, proceed to
the timing.

Here's a quick way to set the timing to "close enough" for a startup. Set
the engine at about 16 degrees before Top Dead Center. Turn the ignition on
but DO NOT CRANK. Remove the distributor cap, loosen the distributor
adjusting bolt, and turn the distributor slowly back and forth until you see
a spark jump across the points. Keep the distributor as close to that point
as possible and tighten the adjusting bolt. That should be within a degree
or two of where you need to be to get it running. Then set it with a timing
light.

Basicaly you can ignore the marks on the distributor plate. Unless you want
to go through a whole bunch of diddling around to get it aligned, it really
doesn't mean anything. The only time you might need to move it is if the
distributor has been installed with the drive gear a tooth off and there
isn't enough travel to get proper timing adjustment.

Capping the vacuum advance line is what you have to do if you are running
Solexes. There is no vaccum port on those carbs.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA
www.gordon-glasgow.org

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when
it deserves it.
-Mark Twain