RE: Rebuilt Engine Ready to leak - Help

To: "'Gordon Glasgow'" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Rebuilt Engine Ready to leak - Help
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:00:18 +1030
Following on from G.G's comments, the worst stuff, when over-applied, is
Silicon Sealant.
Any that oozes OUTSIDE the engine is unsightly to say the least.
Any that oozes INSIDE the engine will create SILICON WORMS, ready to infest
water/oil passages, pumps, and any other orifice it decides to collect in.
Years ago a radiator shop used it on my P510 thermostat housing cover.
After continued cooling problems I removed the cover to find the thermostat
literally glued open by the excess of silicon.
Some really good gear is the orange sealant that Nissan sell.
The Nissan SR20DET for example, has a lot of machined metal to metal seals
with only the Nissan sealant between.
Used SPARINGLY, as the directions say, it is an excellent sealant.
But NOT cheap!
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310