RE: EI Distributor Installation Question(s)

To: "'Matthew A. Smith'" <matthews517@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: EI Distributor Installation Question(s)
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 10:14:33 +0930
"Should I try again and throw the 11:25 orientation of that slot on the gear
out the window and try rotating that gear till I get the rotor lined up (or
nearly lined up) with the contact (such as 1:35 orientation or thereabouts)?

Will that cause me some other SERIOUS issues with the oil pump? Cam? Crank?
Valves?"

Hi Matthew,
There is sure something amiss (pun intended) by the sounds of it.
>From what you say, the problem lies with the clash of orientation of rotor
and cap.
Cap position is set however rotor can be adjusted.
In general terms:
Check that the crank and valve timing, hence the cam, is correct for the
engine.
At TDC on ignition stroke for #1, the valves for #1 should both be closed.
Once verified, the distributor at that same crank position, should be just
past the firing point for #1.
(Alternatively, wind the crank ACW to say the 20deg. BTDC timing mark and
that should be at the firing point for #1.)
Rotor should be opposite a cap post for a cylinder, so spark path is all
set.
If the rotor is not opposite a cap post, then the rotor will have to be
moved CW or ACW one tooth at a time to get near a cap post.
This is certainly not normal procedure but at least the orientation is
achievable.
Once you have the rotor lining up with a post, that post is for #1 plug.
Then going ACW, #3 #2 #4.
This setup can then be dynamically tested with all plugs out connected to
the distributor and earthed.
Crank the engine with a timing light on #1 and you should be able to verify
timing of #1 to timing marks and #3, #2 and #4 should fire in sequence
thereafter.
Plug it all together and it should run.
As far as damage, cam is fixed, it doesn't care, oil pump pumps oil, it
won't care, as long as cam and crank are correctly timed, valves will be OK
and you are not changing the relationship of any of these items.
Sorry for the long winded reply, just trying to help.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310
1971 P510