Re: Fasteners, ball joint material , specs, -clarification and

To: ljordan704@netscape.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fasteners, ball joint material , specs, -clarification and
From: Gary Boone <gboone70@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:33:03 -0700 (PDT)
I agree with this recommendation.

Dave Dearinger wrote:

>please don't have the design changed to eliminate the
Delrin bearing
>surface. If these ball joints are designed like many
modern ball joints
>it will be constructed of a cast steel body that
attaches to the a-arm.
>Inside the steel body is a Delrin cup that supports
the steel ball and
>tapered stud with the castellated nut. Delrin in this
capacity is a
>superior material to an older all steel design.
Delrin wear surfaces can
>be replaced and ball joint assemblies could
potentially be rebuilt just
>by replacing the Delrin material. Delrin has similar
characteristics as
>steel under compressive loads. Delrin has a low
friction coefficient
>resulting in less wear to the ball portion of the
joint, it also
>maintain a lower lubricant temperature and less
lubricant loss from
>thermal expansion and lower viscosity.
>
>Read some information on Delrin.
>http://plastics.dupont.com/NASApp/myplastics/Mediator?id=30
>
>-Dave Dearinger
>-1966 1600
>
>ljordan704@netscape.net wrote:
>

>> Hi List,
>> I mispoke about the ball joint construction in my
bearing surface is-the housing is steel. This is the
modern design previously mentioned.

>> However, Rareparts has informed me this morning, in
response to my inquiry yesterday, that they are able
to do an entirely steel on steel part. So the design
is being changed to provide an even stronger part.

>> Any other questions please ask. I hope to answer
other questions shortly.