HOON drivers and sideshows (going OT); plus mirrors

To: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Subject: HOON drivers and sideshows (going OT); plus mirrors
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:11:39 -0700
> Burnouts, squealing tyres when cornering, even excessive noise from
> cranked up car audio are all "hoon" offences.

In California these activities have become known as 'sideshows'.
There are a scattering of new laws trying to clamp down on such
activities. In Sacramento county, there are now a handful of
private parking lots (mainly the larger shopping malls) that it is
now illegal to WATCH such activity. So technically, if I'm
driving thru the Arden Fair parking lot and see a guy pulling
donuts and stop for a moment, I'M breaking the law...

As far as the 'alternate' way to adjust your side mirrors, yes it really
works. Check out Click and Clack aka Tom and Ray on the procedure:
<http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2003/October/06.html>
<http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/step1.html>
Two words of warning: 1) it really changes your perspective of where
other cars are, especially as they pass you, and 2) if you get used
to the great view this alignment provides, BE CAREFUL when driving
someone else's cars that have the mirrors adjusted 'normally'.

-- John