Re: OT - Power Wheels 12V Battery

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT - Power Wheels 12V Battery
From: Dave Dearinger <daved@mdon-line.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:08:21 -0700
No, Optima batteries are designed to vent gas if overcharged. Optima
batteries are not sealed lead-acid, they are designed to not leak an
acid solution when the casing is compromised, they are also designed to
not have a specific mounting orientation. The design also has the
capability to vent hydrogen and oxygen gases which makes them unsuitable
for environments where said gases have the ability to accumulate to a
point at which two hydrogen molecules can be easily coerced to reattach
to an oxygen molecule.
Sealed lead-acid batteries allow gases from charging to pressurize the
battery casing so that the gases can self recycle back in to the
electrolyte after the battery is fully charged and able to cool. All of
the failed sealed lead-acid batteries I have seen fail didn't fail due
to the loss of electrolyte from evaporation or damage to the internal
plates. Every failed sealed lead-acid I have seen bursts it's casing
after the plastic gives way under constant flexing from gas pressure
buildup. Charging a sealed lead-acid battery at a rate too fast will
over pressurize the casing, very much like other devices designed to
rapidly build gas pressure to the point at which the casing will
violently rupture.

-Dave Dearinger
-1966 1600