Re: Horn/Signal Arm Puzzle

To: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>,
Subject: Re: Horn/Signal Arm Puzzle
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:33:46 -0500
> Larry

> Hi Fellow Listers,  My horn will sound any time  I turn the steering wheel
> or jiggle the turn signal arm.  The roadster does not need to be turned on.
> The only reason I never noticed it before is because the existing horn did
> not work.  I took the horn button off and it is clean.  The wire underneath
> the button is anchored to the main wheel nut with a hose clamp.  It is very
> secure.  What does all this tell everyone?  .

Horns are normally wired so that they'll work all of the time. Sounds to me
like you have a pinched or broken horn wire somewhere near the turn signal
assembly that gets grounded when you turn the wheel or mess with the turn
signal lever. It could well be the case if the circuit was designed to
switch the ground rather than the 12 volt/power side.

You can switch either to control a circuit. Although it's more common in
domestic designs to switch the power, Datsun designed many of the circuits
in these cars, the 510s and Z-Cars to switch the ground.

Isn't electricity fun!  :>)

HTH,
Ron