Wheel size help, please?: And now for some tires

To: pjmill@sonic.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheel size help, please?: And now for some tires
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 07:41:17 -0500
Paul,
The wheels are period correct, and look cool!  The 5.5 width will take a
185X60 or 195X60 or 195X55 tire just fine.  If you go over big bumps you
might get some minor rubbing up inside the rear wheel wells with the 195
tires but I would not worry too much about that.

The type of tire depends on how much you drive and how fast you want to go
around corners and how many bumps you want to feel on the road. (and how
much you want to spend).

On my 1967 pushrod 2L, I have the 5.5X14 Libras (mine are made by shelby
american, and were originally on a Z car).  I have 195X60 Falkin Azinis
tires.  These are acceptable for the street, and very sticky, sticky enough
to do very well on the autocross course without having to take an extra set
of race tires there.  I think they are only about a second slower than a DOT
race tire.  They also have a aggressie and head turning tread pattern.  I
have driven them in rain, and they work fine in rain, just dont drive fast
thru any puddles.  I think they will last about 5 or 10 K miles, which is
just fine for a car I drive about 2K per year.  They are also cheap.  Google
Vulcan Tire in Pa....they seem like reliable and honest folks.  Tire rack
does not carry Falkin.  If you dont need to go that fast around corners, and
want a smoother ride and more tread life, just dial up the size above and
cruise around in the tire rack site, reading the reader comments, until you
find something that fits your style and needs....or at least that is my two
cents on this subject.

Oh yea...with the wide modern radial tires, you will get a lot more grip out
of them if you re-align the front end for a little neg camber and minimum
toe in.  I use a "touch" of toe in, and  one degree neg camber.  A good
compromise for turn in Vs tire wear.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia