RE: Miata Seats (add a steering wheel question or two)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Miata Seats (add a steering wheel question or two)
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 19:22:03 -0500
Tom (and Mr. Hyde) wrote:
"I have Miata seats in Mr. Hyde and love them.  If you have a stock steering
wheel you will loose a little space between the top of your legs and the
bottom of the wheel.  This makes a significant difference in how you get
into the car and it took me a while to learn how to get in without tangling
my feet up in the pedals."

I've thought about this change before too. My issue is I don't have great
knees. I'm probably due for a knee replacement in a couple years (thanks to
being a roofer, then a carpet layer, in former vocations... and being 41...
dangit). I can only drive about 2-3 hours at a time and then need a long
walk or rest before I start again (and lots of advil). Losing space between
the top of my legs and the bottom of the stock wheel is not an option. There
isn't any! (did I mention I'm 6'1" 265?)

If I do this, I will have to change my wheel. I have no problem doing that,
but how small can/should I go. I think a 9" chain wheel wouldn't match my
car (unless I add hydraulics and low ride it... NOT!). Grant has wheels that
would work. They require an adapter that would put the wheel closer to the
belly. I'm thinking about a 12-13" wheel with MINIMAL dish, to offset the
adapter.

Any ideas about wheel sizes? Minimum usable size, given that these lil
beauties don't have power steering? How about moving the Miyata seats back a
few inches, like nearly to the shelf? Is this fairly easily done? Just a
re-positioning of the holes? Finally... Are the tops (backs) of these seats
wider than the Datsun ones so the roll bar has to go away completely if I do
this?

Oh, one last thing. About getting into the car. This was discussed at Mitty
06'. Butt first is how we taller folks do it. Sit down, lean your right
elbow on the hump (or console if your particular obsession still has one)
then fold the legs in. LMAO!

Matt Smith and Tater the wonder puppy

And of course Loreli (she's a 70' Silver Solex SRL311)