RE: frame-off question

To: "'Bill Oakes'" <boakes@gmail.com>, "'Autox \(E-mail\)'"
Subject: RE: frame-off question
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 10:49:46 +1030
Hi List and Bill,
While the frame off resto is certainly the more thorough way to go, there a
few important issues to cover.
First up you must have plenty of space available to separate and store parts
Body and Chassis.
Secondly you will need to re-mount the B on some sort of trolley/rotisserie
to enable access and movement.
Thirdly, while the C is fully self supporting, the B shell is not.
Before separating the B and C it is essential to brace the door openings in
their current correct position.
As for hours, well, sep. the two is probably 4-6H if you are on your own.
To strip the C, 4H, strip the B only 2H.
Assuming all your fasteners are able to be removed without resorting to heat
and chemicals!
I have followed this route since my car was in very sad condition and I
firmly believe you can't do a decent resto. with parts B and C still
attached. JMHO.
If you have as much spare time as you indicate, I would advise you to DO IT!
Although not ideal, have a look at what I can do with my body with a simple
4 wheel trolley and support frame.
That didn't come out right, I meant the car body!

Slightly off topic, we are now the proud Grandparents of Dylan Trevor, born
to my daughter Marianne and her partner Josh at 00:45, 30/12/06, 8lb 1oz. He
is the cutest little guy!
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4291195515
Adelaide
South Australia.

"So, my question is.....IF I were to go the frame-off option for the paint
job, how many more hours of work am I really talking?
Damn this extra time on my hands!
-Bill Oakes
Libertyville, IL"