RE: Rust removal

To: "'Autox \(E-mail\)'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rust removal
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:58:20 +1030
 Hi list,

"Washing soda and a battery charger... Who thinks up these things?"

>From my newly acquired DIY metal Plating kit: -
"Rust and Zinc stripper, is a 10% solution of Hydrochloric Acid and tap
water.
Used to treat light rust and strip zinc plating from steel surfaces.
NO ELECTROLYSIS IS NECESSARY.
Indeed electrolysis of this solution will produce chlorine gas: MOST
UNDESIREABLE!!!!!
However as much rust as possible should be removed by mechanical means.
For heavy rust, soak in this pickle for 5-10 minutes."

Unfortunately, I couldn't hear the audio on that web site so I can't comment
on that particular method.

There are other pickles to remove chrome and nickle from steel and zinc
parts, prior to plating with NiCo.

It is all fairly basic chemistry, which I forgot a long time ago, but very
effective none the less.

I'm gearing up to do my own stripping, zinc plating with gold passivation
and eventually NiCo (Nickle/Cobalt) plating to take the place of the
horrendously expensive Chrome plating.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 Datsun Sports
1971 P510 Datsun 1600
1972 PL510 Datsun 1600 LHD
1973 HS30 Datsun 240Z
1984 B120 Datsun 1200 utility<<<<<NEW<<<<<
1993 ECR33 Skyline GTS25t
www.imagestation.com/mypictures/index.html
Adelaide
South Australia