Re: [Roadsters] Donut spare tires

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Donut spare tires
From: "Todd Osborn" <todd.osborn@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:03:20 -0700
John makes a very good point; running different size tires on the rear end
put stress on the differential. The side gears and diff gears in the
roadster rear end are plain bearings and subject to galling when rotated
continuously. When driving in a straight line the diff and side gears don't
turn, the gear carrier with it's attached ring gear are supported by large
roller bearings, these take all the drive loads. I recommend finding a tire
that matches or only mount the spare on the front end if you need to drive
for any significant distance.
Todd Osborn
San Jose, CA

John F Sandhoff said