Re: [Roadsters] Fuel pump removal

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Fuel pump removal
From: <kendelmccarley@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:05:58 -0700
That's me at the back of the class, staring out the window.  At least I know
I'm not the only one who was puzzled by the pump.  Shoving the engine over by
the valve cover gave me enough clearance.

The pump diaphragm is still intact and there's a bit of gas inside.  This car
has sat for a long time without a tank installed.  I guess I'll pressurize the
new tank to get the pump primed and the fuel flowing.

---- John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu> wrote:

=============

> Okay, I feel silly asking this, but how the heck does one remove
> the fuel pump from a 1600 without lifting the engine?

Is there an echo in here? :-)

Enrique posted this on 15-Sep:

===

I postd this on 311s, but I'll post it here for those that don't go there:

Since my car is currently in a position to play with this, I gave it a try
to determine if there was a simple procedure to installing/removing the
fuel pump. After all, they must have envisioned having to do this as part
of regular maintenance at some point.

What I found is this: First remove the nuts holding the fuel pump to the
block. (Question for others out there, are there supposed to be lock
washers on this? Mine did not have any, seems the studs are way too
short, and any longer would REALLY make removal a royal pain.)

Next, pull on the fuel pump till the stud flanges just clear the studs on
the block, then you rotate the complete pump assembly just a bit. Either
to where a line perpendicular to the top of the pump points to the 1:30 or
the 10:30 position (if you could view it directly from the side of the
engine block). The axis of rotation goes directly though the center of the
bottom half of the fuel pump, side to side of the car/block.

Then rotate the bottom half of the pump away from the block with the
axis of rotation being perpendicular to the position you chose. That is
if you rotated to the 1:30 position, you would rotate the bottom part of
the pump's body with the axis going between the 10:30 and 4:30 points.
(Conversely, top @ 10:30 axis is at 1:30/7:30.) The axis now goes
through the UPPER half of the pump.

I'm trying to describe something that will be very easy and almost
intuitive
... once you rotate the fuel pump.

I've done this both ways, and have NOT had to lift or move the motor at
all.

Re-installation is just as simple (  "Reversal of Removal"  ), except that
you first must make sure the lever that operates the pump will insert into
the block and be above the portion of the crank that actuates it.

HTH
Enrique