[Roadsters] Gas Tank Strap Broke (left),

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Gas Tank Strap Broke (left),
From: "Seth Asher" <sasher@olympiawest.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 00:21:01 -0700
--===============0343297509==

Left hand gas tank strap broke, going over a wallow in road tday.  AAA towed
me to a muffler shop that spot-welded the strap back together for $40.  But, I
fear the right hand side is weakened because as the tank swung down when the
left strap broke, it separated the last 4" inches rearward of the support
member under trunk that is sandwiched between tank and trunk bottom
sheetmetal.

I am thinking of wirewheeling and JB Welding the lengthward straps, and also
the sandwiched lengthward support beams, kinding of "painting" them with JB
Weld...as it is it makes me nervous to drive the car over bumps.  Kind of
ruined my day with this unexpected random event.

There is no one around Hollywood I know who could affordably and quickly
install new straps, and even if they did, the sandwiched beams are still weak.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone have any comments about whether my JB Weld idea for reinforcement is a
good or bad idea?

This is a pretty new car to me...anyone have any tips so I can ANTICIPATE
random things happening like the gas tank falling out?!?!?  I haven't
inspected the whole car, so advice about major known-issues to check would be
very helpful.

This car is my new daily driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seth