Re: [Roadsters] Windscreen

To: <ljordan704@netscape.net>, <bradandgayle@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Windscreen
From: "Hall, Phillip B. (MSFC-ED03)" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:53:11 -0500
Hey Linda -

Brad may have answered, but yes it is Plexiglas. I think Brad made his
out of 1/4 inch, but down to 1/8 inch would be strong enough. Home Depot
has it but expensive.  A large glass shop may have a better deal.  I
find cutting Plexiglas to be a trick.  You can not use a jig saw because
it is too fast (melts the Plexiglas) and the material "welds" back
together behind the blade. They make a cutter that scribes its way
through.  You get about half way and it will break pretty clean.  Then
sand the edges with a belt sander (and use it to make corners) then
final sand to a nice finish edge - or finish with a propane torch to
melt a smooth edge.

At one time I made a bunch of stuff for the Roadster out of Plexiglas -
sun visors, head light covers, scoops, air dam,,, it is a good
alternative to aluminum is some places and easy to form/shape with
common tools and an oven.  Geez, my Mom used to get so mad at me when
she came home and the smell of Plexiglas was all through the house from
using her oven .....:)

Phil
SEROC