Re: [Roadsters] windshield wiper motor

To: <garytew@cox.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] windshield wiper motor
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:37:49 +0930
--===============0446421322==

Hi Gary,
remove all of the mechanical linkage from the wiper shaft then re-test it
electrically.
Usually the wiper pivot shafts that go through the cowl bind up and can
prevent the motor from operating.
If it operates OK, it may just be the pivots.
Try to rotate the pivots by hand. If they won't budge,  then you need to
refurbish the two pivots.
If the motor still doesn't operate make sure that it is getting power.
There is not much to go wrong in the wiper motor, the brushes may be dirty
or worn down.
The 5 wire wiper motor is probably a 2 speed with park contact while the 4
wire is a single speed with park.

I put juice to the roadster this week to start testing circuits and verify
my wiring.  The wiper motor did not work.  I got under the dash and pulled
one of the wiper arms and the motor ran for a second or 2.  I haven't done
anything since.  My plan is to pull and bench test it and also check for any
binding.  Are there any issues I should know about on these motors?  Also, I
pulled one from my parts car ('65) and it has a wiring harness plug in the
end of it with 4 posts while my ('67) motor has 5 wires coming out of it.
Anyone know the wiring scheme of the 4 wire motor?  So far, no major issues
on the wiring. The lights, horn, turn signals, horns, and clock all work.
Will start testing the door actuators and power window circuits next when I
have time.

Gary Tew

7:53 PM