Re: [Roadsters] "B" dash light - circuit to nowhere? OT comment

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] "B" dash light - circuit to nowhere? OT comment
From: "E Scanlon" <escanlon@wa-net.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:50:32 -0800
That's funny!

Reminds me of a similar incident I pulled on an unsuspecting lady-friend
back in college with a 76 Mercury Capri II.

Those cars had a switch and bulb mounted in the footwell, near where our
dead pedal pad is.  This switch / bulb was the windshield washer system for
the car.  If you pressed with the complete flat of your shoe, you'd actuate
the ring and press on the bulb together and you'd squirt the windshield and
actuate the wipers all in one movement.  If you pressed just the outer ring,
you'd get wipers only, and if you were careful you could press JUST the bulb
and only get the stream of water hitting the windshield.

Since the dash had a series of filler plugs in the middle for accessories /
features that didn't get added to the U.S. market cars, it was easy to tell
her that there were a pair of IR sensors that sensed the position and shape
of your hand in front of it.  To demonstrate, I put my hand up with fingers
spread --- the squirt hit the windshield.  Then I put up just one finger and
the wipers came on.  Putting up all the fingers and waving them caused the
squirt AND the wipers.

Since we were on a long highway trip at the time, and using my peripheral
vision below my sunglasses, I kept her going for at least 45 miles or so,
with her trying to "fool" or "surprise" the system. It wasn't until I had to
exit the highway and was shifting that she caught on that my clutch foot had
been doing all the legerdemain.

Any other unusual "accessories" out there?

Sharing a laugh;

From: "Kerry and Kae Zariwny"