Re: [Roadsters] X-Country - Need Mechanic in PHX

To: "peter harrison" <granvillecomputing@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] X-Country - Need Mechanic in PHX
From: "Richard Brown" <reblues@reblues.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:00:51 -0500
This past April I made the trip from ATL to PHX.  I spent two weeks there.
After the first fill up in PHX, at a Circle K, the car started running as
you described., miss at speed, low power.   On the trip home it got better
after the first fill up in TX, but not back to the way it was before AZ.

When I got home and checked the plugs they had a yellowish color to them.  I
replaced them and the car got back to normal.

I thought of a couple of possible causes.  1. The change in humidity in AZ
throwing off the Solex's mixture causing the plugs to foul.  2. I heard that
all of AZ gas has a x% of ethanol? or some such thing.  Shell stations here
in GA have a similar mixture and my car runs like crap on it.   AZ doesn't
seem to know about 93 octane so I couldn't try that for a cure.  I did run
regular, 89 octane, most of the trip and the car ran fine, just a little
power loss.

Maybe a combination of these.  Or something else all together.I don't  think
it was the Circle K gas.  I filled up at other stations there and the
problem didn't go away.   That's just what I came up with.  Other than the
fouled plugs I didn't see any long term effects.  Compression and leak down
test numbers didn't change.

Hope you have a great trip.  If you come thru ATL, stop by and say hey.

Richard Brown
1970 2000 with Solexes