[Roadsters] Vacuum advance?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Vacuum advance?
From: Tom PRATHER <tomet9@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:30:49 -0800 (PST)
The List,

       Can some one please enlighten me to the facts on vacuum advance? Before
the conversion to Mikuni flatslides  I had my timing set to 16 degrees as U20's
should be with SU's (presmog). The car never pinged or at least it wasn't
audible to me and ran good. I am now tuning the flatslides to that sweet zone
where jetting is almost on but I have this off idle ping and stumble that
doesn't allow me to get a great launch. I have even backed off on the timing
some more to about 10-12 dgrees but no go. I know on the U20 w/Solexes are set
to 20 degrees w/advance off. What is the reason for not having the advance with
these hi performance carbs? Wouldn't one want it to overcome that big hole on
launches where velocity is slow? I am presently running without advance. Once I
baby it past 2500rpm it goes like a bat out of hell but I don't need holes in
my piston either. Do I need to have my Boone EI reworked? Thanks  guys,
                                                        Tom, 69 U20 w/Mikuni
Flat Slide RS-40