[Roadsters] Life is a matter of minutes

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Life is a matter of minutes
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 07:32:14 GMT
Hi list, guess what I got tangled up in after work?  Fortunately I was driving
my 2000 Celica GTS, not the Roadster...
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/updates/story/207722.html
Was there about 2 minutes after it happened, could not believe what I saw.  My
car was one of the "five damaged by debris in the deadly crash" as I ran over
huge pieces of metal at 60 miles an hour, destroying my right front tire and
wheel, bending two cross members up front under the car and breaking the front
airdam.  Got the car stopped a ways down the road.  Walked past the semi truck
which was missing all of its front suspension and was pouring fuel out of its
punctured tanks.  Next to the truck was the cylinder head from the Golf, about
75 yards or more away from the car.  Walked past the Golf and was glad I did
not look in, as the entire front of the car was gone, the transmission sitting
in the west bound lanes on the other side of the freeway, with pieces of car
scattered all over.  My mind noted the head gasket sitting on the ground.  Had
to leave my car on the side of the road, and Tammy my girl friend came and
picked me up a couple hours later.  My car is home now after being towed to
me, appearing quite repairable and without damage to major things like the
engine or trans, though I am not happy about the frame.  I'm waiting on
insurance info from the state patrol so I can contact the drivers provider and
get my car inspected, as I only have liability on the Celica.
Here's the deal... When I left work a few minutes earlier, I forgot to clock
out.  Because of this it required that I drive out of the parking lot, go back
to the ER employee entrance door, go inside and swipe my card... about 2
minutes... just enough time for me to avoid the accident 10 minutes later.
Funny how life works.
Be safe my friends.  Don't "run out of talent" as my race driver friend Carl
says, and watch for those who are.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 (safely in the garage next to the wounded Celica)