Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd Transmission question...[Picture...]

To: " Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd Transmission question...[Picture...]
From: "dave" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 23:54:08 -0500
Whatever it takes, buy, borrow or steal,or get the proper wrenches,
preferably 6 point box wrenches, to fit both nuts.  Adjustable wrenches are
not made for that much torque.  One way might work, you can secure one
wrench in a strong vise, have an assistant hold the transmission with the
inner nut in the secured wrench, put the other wrench on the lock nut and
apply as much force as you can while still maintaining control.  If you then
use a medium steel hammer and strike the wrench where it is wrapped around
the outer nut sharply, not necessarilly extremely hard, the combination of
torque and impact may break it loose.  Could do the same with two wrenches
and try to squeeze them together like giant pliers, again with someone to
steady the assembly and then striking the outer wrench to shock it.
Remember, the goal is to turn the locknut away from the nut under it, not to
loosen the outer nut in relation to the shaft.  If both nuts turn together
in relation to the shaft, it will gnarl up the threads. Remember, it works
just as well to hold the lock nut and tighten the inner nut toward the gear,
all it takes to break the hold of the lock nut is about 1/16-1/32 of a turn
in relation to the inner nut.

If sombody used red or blue Loctite, you WILL need a mild amount of heat to
break the bond, like 20 seconds with a propane torch and you may see it melt
and bubble out or smoke.

Pete> From: ken__pearce@hotmail.com> To:
Pete> datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:22:09 -0800> Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd
Transmission question...[Picture...]> > Thanks to all who have responded on
my question regarding the 5spd tranny> mainshaft locknut.> > Here's a
picture of the beastie:> >
http://boatstuff.europabeat.com/5spd_mainshaft_nuts.jpg> > No tabs to
flatten or anything like that, it must just be on there TIGHT! The> shiny
part on the locknut is where my crescent wrench slipped off. I have two> 18"
adjustable wrenches and two 3' sections of steel pipe for breaker bars. I>
looked closely at the threads and they appear to be right-hand standard>
threads. I'll give it another try...> > Thanks again.> > Ken Pearce>
dato1500@hotmail.com> >