Re: [Roadsters] Header Frustration - ideas?

To: Nathaniel Leeds <nmleeds@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Header Frustration - ideas?
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:47:13 -0600
If the flanges aren't flat on the collector and header pipe it is
possible for exhaust gasses to eat up a collector gasket in short order.
Make sure both surfaces are flat and parallel. Tighten down the bolts a
little at a time so that the pipe and header will come into alignment
and not be crooked. I've never tried a copper gasket, but it seems as if
it would take more tightening to get it to seal, which could distort the
header and pipe flanges if they are not thick enough to take the extra
stress.

I bought a header for my 1600 years ago from one of our vendors. Once I
got it installed I noticed the smell of exhaust inside the car, so I
went back to the shop that put the header and the rest of the exhaust
system onto the car. He found that there was a small hole in the middle
of where the 4 collector pipes came together. The easiest way for him to
repair it was to cut off part of the collector so he could weld from the
ends of the pipes, rather than trying to get in from the front. After
the repair he welded the collector back on and it hasn't leaked since.
That was in the early 90s.

Peace
Pat

Thusly spake Nathaniel Leeds:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001