Re: [Roadsters] Header Frustration - ideas?

To: "'Stephen Wan'" <steve@olsonarchitect.com>, "'Nathaniel Leeds'"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Header Frustration - ideas?
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:59:28 +1030
--===============1533256060==

Excluding weld problems, would not a flexible joint between the header and
the tailpipe solve alignment problems?
Trying to get two flat flanges on rigid pipes to align and seal is not easy.
Perhaps that is why the factory had thart weird "V" clamp joint, it will
tolerate some degree of misalignment.
The head flange would need to be skimmed to ensure it is dead flat.
Also I have noticed that the thickness of some head flanges is too different
to that of the alloy inlet manifold.
You may need to re-check that the manifold retainers can clamp onto the two
manifolds positively, where they share the same fastener.
Any lack of clamping at that point and the gasket will blow out quick smart.

I had the same problem where the flanges don't meet up parallel.
I burned trough a few fiber gaskets before I doubled up on the aluminum
ringed gaskets and it's held for a year.
If that fails, the next step would be to use the copper.

Steve
70' 1600
still waiting for a tranny swap.

7:05 PM