Re: [Roadsters] Overheating Question Part II

To: "'Matthew Cox'" <oscilloscope500@yahoo.com>, "'roadster list'"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Overheating Question Part II
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:11:56 +1030
--===============0640971466==

   A bunch of people thought it might be a blown head gasket. Well, I
finally got the compression tester I ordered three weeks ago on ebay (thanks
for nothing, lazy ebay dude) and I ran a test and came back with 165 on 1
(from front of car), 175 on 2, 158ish on 3, and 170 on 4. Is this pretty
normal? I guess I can cross head gasket off my list?

!!Compression figs. are a wee bit wonky.
For a performance/sports car, ideally the lowest reading should be at least
90% of the highest.
i.e. 0.9 x 175 = 157 so it IMO it is only just acceptable.
If you can, do a LEAKDOWN test.
That will tell you if any cylinder is farting into:-
1. another cylinder,
2. inlet,
3. outlet,
4. atmosphere,
5. water jacket or, shudder,
6. oil passage.

  Next, I pulled off the radiator and ran water through it. It seemed to
flow fine from what I can tell, but it was just a hose I was using. I plan
on redoing the radiator, but for now it doesn't seem to be a big issue.

!!If you have it out, may as well get a Shop to take off the tanks and give
it a good cleanout/onceover.
Then they have to give you a warranty!

  Then, I ran water through the block and the water looked pretty clean, was
a nice light green color, and flowed smoothly.

!!Sounds good.

  Next, I pulled off the radiator tower and got at the thermostat. It is a
180 deg thermostat, which I will replace with a 160 one. I boiled it and it
started to open at 180 and was full open at about 200-205.

!!Cheap insurance to replace it.
When you test it, it should be suspended in the water, not resting on the
bottom of the container ;)

  Finally, I took off the fan belt and spun the water pump by hand and it
seemed to move water through it. Mind you, I had most of the water out of
the engine by now, but when I spun it I would get a corresponding trickle.

!!Now is the time to remove that pump and make sure it is OK.
Not too expensive to replace it if you have any doubts about it.

  Soooo... That is where I am now. I haven't put everything together yet,
but since I didn't really find anything "wrong,"  I suspect that I haven't
solved the problem. Should I put everything together again and see what
happens? Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be causing the
overheating?

  Thanks again for all of your help!!!

  Matthew...

!!Do the leakdown test before spending any money on anything else.
Pending the results, it will guide you to what you need to do next.

5:44 PM