[Roadsters] OT: Miata Top Install

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] OT: Miata Top Install
From: Jim InVirginia <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:34:33 -0500
For All,

OT
I recently bought a new top for my go to work daily driver, the 96 Miata "M"
edition.  Running well at 145K miles, but the top was getting ragged, with
cracks starting in the vinyl and the window nice and foggy.

I ordered the Robbins Top, part number 2919, Tan like the original, and
upgrade to glass rear window.  This top also comes with a new rain gutter
installed.

My top/seat/vinyl guy wanted $550 to install this top, which cost about $460
with tax and shipping.

I know a fair amount of folks on this list also have a Miata, so I wanted to
let everyone know that this top can be installed by a fairly handy driveway
mechanic.  I used the Robbins instructions, and also the internet instructions
from 1997 Brian K. Dore post (easy to find).  It took 7 hours.  The only
special tool I used was to take a medium small phillips head screwdriver and
saw 2/3 of the handle off of it.  You will know when you need this, if you do
this job.
Also, spend the extra $50 like I did and get the top with the rain gutter
already attached!!!  If I did another one, I could do it a lot faster, but I
went very slow in an attempt to not screw up the new top.

The top is tight, looks great, and does not leak.  What a wonderful thing to
look thru a glass rear window!

Best Regards,
Jim
67 pushrod 2L 5spd