Re: [Roadsters] 5 speed...

To: Paul <9laser3@bright.net>, 'Pete Peters' <ppeters914@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5 speed...
From: Daryl Smith <drlsmith@dccnet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:56:09 -0700
> > No transmissions from a later Datsun/Nissan will 'bolt on' a R16 or
> > U20.<<
Not true. The diesel p/u 5 spd of the early mid '80s will also bolt right up
to the engine. Clearance at the frame is a problem tho. The front half of
this transmission can be taken off and bolted to many of the earlier and
later 5 spds used by Nissan.
I am currently running one of these front halfs (slight modifications) with
a '92 240SX 5spd guts and back half, on my 1800cc R series stroker with a
.833 5th gear.
It's a bunch more work than a U20  5 spd, but doable and makes rebuilds and
parts much easier.
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2749&hilit=5+speed

The 5 spd from the roadster is a 'close ratio' transmission. I don't know
how 'exclusive' the guts of this transmission are, but you may be able to
fit gears in from a later transmission to make it a wider ratio, and lower
that first gear.......
OR maybe put in a higher 5th (.833 or .810 or ?) so that you have a more
reasonable cruising rpm when you run a 4.11 or higher rear diff
ratio.........Anyone know if this is possible?

Daryl