Re: [Roadsters] What is in todays fuel that makes everything gum up?

To: "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] What is in todays fuel that makes everything gum up?
From: Jerry Krakauer <jsk977@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:37:47 -0400
Back in the late 60s, my first BSR built U20 used domed R16 pistons and a
milled head for a compression ratio north of 12.5:1. (the second and current
build is 11.7:1)The only street fuel it would run on guaranteed not to knock
was Sunoco 260. If  I recall it was around 102 octane - around 95 - 96 by
today's R+M/2 method. We sometimes used 100/145 av gas - (122.5 octane
R+M/2). Due to the fact that it had no highway fuel taxes you could not
legally just "fill it up" had to use 5 Gal containers, and most general
aviation airport operators were in an industry that liked to follow the
rules.

In the northeast Sunoco still has some stations that sell Sunoco Racing
Fuel(formerly known as Cam 2) with an octane in the high 90s, but since it
contains lead, again you can't just fill it up, must be purchased in
containers, and the nozzles are still the older larger diameter so they
won't fit a modern fuel neck.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311 00099