[Roadsters] backroads run 10/10-11, SoCal TT write-up

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] backroads run 10/10-11, SoCal TT write-up
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS)" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:53:23 -0500
Had a spectacular 2-day backroads run on the SoCalTT this past
Sun/Monday.  300 miles per day of backroads, pre'76 cars (unless you had
a last minute breakdown, then bring what you got and get some serious
jibing from others).
Interesting smattering of vehicles, wide range of marques and "patina",
and same as roadster events, the people are what makes it great.
Bench-racing, opportunities for roadside repairs and parking lot
dismantles at the motel, some incredible food at the catered dinner as
well as the "awards" dinner restaurant.

2 Roadsters (myself and Peter Harrison), as well as V-8 Roadster Eric H.
in his rotary swapped 62 midget, which has yet to acquire a suitable
nickname (any clever ideas? It is quite the beast).

Note: this was not intended to be, nor is usually so heavy in engine
swaps)
510's (2- both swapped, SR20 and rotary)
Alfas and MGBs and TR6's, 1 TR8, (ever notice that the wheelbase and the
track width are almost the same for this car?)
a Porsche 914-6,
Mercedes pagoda with a buick v-6
Ferrari 400A with a SBC-350
2 healey 3000s, one with a V-8
A Chenoweth Sand Buggy, legalized for this run
And some beautiful other rides
31 cars in all.

Great roads, great weather, great eats, great folk.
My roadster has run fine for the whole year, then started a stumble the
morning of the event.  Just doesn't seem like the dizzy is advancing
under hard load, and isn't running out of gas although I will swap the
fuel filter first thing.  My timing lite shows good at idle and good at
revs (dial back lite).
Perplexed, but was determined not to dismantle while enroute, and it
wasn't getting any worse, so I just soldiered on and since I was going
slower (slow enough to keep pace with the TR-6's!)  I took more
pictures, and loaned out tools to lots of folks for their roadside
repairs.

Some pics:

http://socaltt510.shutterfly.com/

A video (that I haven't viewed yet: