Re: [Roadsters] running poorly - Adjusting Base Timing

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] running poorly - Adjusting Base Timing
From: Graeme Suckling <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:09:22 +1030
Easy enough to check and/or adjust the dist.
Don't forget the distributor timing plate has oval holes at both points.
Ideally when the timing is correct, both bolts should be in the centre
of the oval holes.

If you have run out of adjustment in either direction, the base timing
needs to be reset.
TDC #1 on compression.
Dist. can then be withdrawn from the drive gear.
The relationship between the drive gear, camshaft and the distributor is
fixed, but the drive gear to oil pump is not.
So if the drive gear needs to be rotated one tooth, just rotate the oil
pump accordingly.
Then re-insert the drive gear to its new position.
Re-insert the dist.
The ignition points can now be re-adjusted to the new base timing.
If you have rotated the drive gear in the correct direction you should
now have plenty of adjustment range at the base of the distributor.
You can also reset the timing plate at the base of the distributor to
reflect TDC as well and then the A and R graduations can be used for
minor adjustments from this base setting without requiring a Timing Light.

Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 Datsun Sports
1971 P510 Datsun 1600
1972 PL510 Datsun 1600 LHD
1973 HS30 Datsun 240Z
1984 B120 Datsun 1200 utility
1993 ECR33 Skyline GTS25t - STOLEN 8/1/12
http://tinyurl.com/6n5aza
Adelaide
South Australia.