Re: [Roadsters] 5-Speed

To: <Shobson@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-Speed
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:18:37 -0600
All the 5-speeds I have seen have the cable routed directly into the side of
the trans -- no adapter.  I tried to put an adapter on a friend's '67 1600
with a U20/5-speed conversion, but there was no clearance for the adapter
between the tunnel and the side of the trans.  He does not have the standard
5-speed cross-member trans mount, but rather uses the existing 1600 mount,
which places the trans higher in the tunnel.  I have been told that the rear
trans mount should be dropped to the lower bolt holes only, to get more
clearance, but we have not tried it.  His cable runs under the carpet and
through a hole drilled in the tunnel just opposite the cable entry point
into the trans.  I opened up the hole a bit, and we were able to get a new
cable in.

Anyone else?

Gary